Benefits of Massage
In our fast-paced world, there are plenty of places you can go to get a massage like doctor’s offices, malls, and even airports. But if you’re going to invest time and money in the name of relaxation, why not have it performed by a highly trained massage therapist in a calming and tranquil environment? The benefits of massage may astound you!
At the Centre Yourself Medical Rejuvenation Spa, we specialize in many different forms of massage. Each one relieves tension in a different way. We offer custom massages specifically crafted to meet your needs. We also offer complimentary aromatherapy services that can be paired with any of our massages to help you achieve ultimate relaxation.
Benefits of Massage
Even one massage session can do a lot to improve health. As you are thinking about scheduling a therapeutic massage at the Centre YourselfTM Medical Rejuvenation Spa, consider the following benefits massage offers:
- Alleviates stress. Massage can help lower your heart rate as well as reduce your cortisol and insulin levels.
- Promotes relaxation. Sometimes all you need is a little “me time”. Massage is a great way to relax, detox, and help your body get into recovery mode.
- Improves circulation. Massage helps get your blood moving which, in turn, improves your body’s ability to function.
- Lowers blood pressure. High blood pressure is made worse by stress and anxiety. When you have a relaxing massage, the relief your body experiences can lower your blood pressure for days afterward.
- Promotes good posture. Massage cannot solve bad posture completely, but it can ease the joints and address pressure points that contribute to a slumped stance.
- Eases muscle pain. If you have a desk job, chances are you experience some mild neck or back pain. Workers who are on their feet all day may experience muscle pain in other areas of the body as well. Massage works out the toxins that build up in muscle tissue to relieve pain.
- Enhances breathing. Stress and anxiety can restrict breathing. Massage relaxes the muscles surrounding the respiratory system making it easier to take full, deep breaths.
- Increases range of motion. Over time, aging joints restrict motion and cause poor flexibility. Relaxing those joints allows them to move more fluidly.
- Eases headaches. Many Americans suffer from chronic headaches and migraines. Since massage can alleviate pressure points and help flush out toxins, many people experience reduced headaches.
- Improves immune system. Massage has been shown to stimulate the body’s natural production of the cytotoxic cells that work to fight disease.
- Promotes healing. If you’ve recently suffered an injury or undergone surgery, massage can speed up the recovery process by helping your body circulate oxygen and nutrients more efficiently.
Everyone’s body is different so reactions to massage will vary. That said, you may experience a number of additional positive side effects after a massage, including:
- Reduced inflammatory reactions
- Decreased anxiety
- Better quality of sleep
- Improved concentration
- Increased energy levels and lessened fatigue
- Improvement in circulation
- Less pain in arthritic areas
- Improved pulmonary and respiratory function for asthma sufferers
- Decreased water retention and cramping for those with premenstrual syndrome
- Easing the pain of childbirth
- Lessened effects of myofascial pain syndrome, temporomandibular joint disorder, Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, and fibromyalgia
- Reduction in depression
- Reduction in pain for cancer patients and alleviation from chemo-related nausea
What to Expect During Your Massage
If you have never had a massage before, you might have some questions about how the whole process works. Here is what you can expect during a standard massage:
- Eat before you head to your appointment. That way you can focus on relaxing without worrying about being hungry. Also, drink plenty of water before you go to help your body flush out toxins.
- Once you arrive, your massage therapist will ask you some questions about your overall health. They may ask if there are any particular areas you would like them to target.
- Then, your therapist will take you into your private room so you can get undressed. Many massage patients choose to wear only underwear for their massage but feel free to wear whatever you feel most comfortable in.
- After undressing, you will lay on the massage table where there will be a light blanket or sheet to cover up with. Your therapist will then knock before entering and begin your massage.
- During your massage, your therapist will probably play some relaxing music to help you unwind. They will use various lotions and oils to lubricate their hands and make the massage much more soothing. If you are allergic to lotion or certain oils, let your therapist know before they begin.
- After your massage is over, your therapist will leave the room so you can get dressed. Get up off the massage table slowly. You may experience some dizziness after your massage. Drink plenty of water to maximize the benefits of massage.
Who is a Candidate for Massage?
Almost everyone can reap the benefits of a good massage. Unfortunately, there are some people who may not be eligible based on certain medical conditions. Consult with your doctor before booking your massage if any of the following conditions apply to you:
- Bleeding disorders
- You are taking blood-thinning medication
- Recovering from burns or serious wounds
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Severe thrombocytopenia
- Severe osteoporosis
- Broken bones or fractures
Come Unwind at the Centre YourselfTM Medical Rejuvenation Spa
Whether you’re focusing on certain areas with a targeted massage or melting away the stress with a deep tissue massage, the licensed massage therapists at the Centre YourselfTM Medical Rejuvenation Spa are here to help. We also offer prenatal massages for women looking to ease the stress pregnancy puts on their bodies.
Contact us today or call us at 574-350-2031. We are happy to help you schedule an appointment or answer any additional questions you may have regarding the benefits of massage. We look forward to helping you achieve your relaxation goals!