Change is part of life. As we all grow and develop new perspectives, we might occasionally decide to move in new directions or to finally address things we’ve long wanted to change.
One of the great things about the human experience is that we’re able to make those transitions and come out on the other side as even more fulfilling versions of ourselves.
Here at The Centre, P.C., we offer a comprehensive range of plastic surgery solutions for men and women around the world, including breast surgery and breast implant revisions.
Believe it or not, breast implant revisions are nearly as common as primary breast augmentations, emerging as an especially popular option within just the last few years.
Breasts change. That’s true whether you’ve previously had them augmented or not. The natural aging process has an effect on the size, shape, appearance, and health of breasts, and maintenance is an important part of a woman’s post-augmentation journey.
Occasionally, that maintenance might involve one or more surgical procedures to make breast implant revisions.
As with primary breast augmentation, women have a wide array of options when it comes to breast implant revisions. And there are a whole host of reasons for pursuing a modification. By working with a board certified South Bend plastic surgeon you can make a conscientious and well-informed decision about the best choices for you.
The Centre, P.C. understands how important it is for you to feel confident, satisfied, and proud of your body. Likewise, we know how absolutely imperative breast health and whole-body health are to each of our patients.
Our commitment is to finding a solution that meets all your goals while protecting your overall physical and emotional wellbeing. We offer private, respectful, and compassionate service that is tailor-designed for your unique needs.
The information below will help you learn more about breast implant revisions — what they entail, why they may be warranted, and what an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon can do to help.
Are You a Good Candidate for Breast Implant Revisions?
At The Centre, P.C., our breast implant revisions are designed for those who have had previous breast augmentation surgery but have subsequently developed dissatisfaction or health concerns relating to their breasts today. We’ll explore some of the reasons for breast implant revisions in the next section.
Each case demands a careful study of the patient’s individual needs, focusing first and foremost on the best interest of their health. Patients must be screened and found to be in good health before undergoing any revision procedure.
Breast implant revisions generally require a greater degree of skill than primary augmentations, so it’s important to work with an experienced cosmetic surgeon you can trust. While revision procedures may be either elective or medically warranted, they should generally be reserved for cases where there is a notable issue or significant dissatisfaction.
An experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon at our Mishawaka office can help you determine whether you’re a good candidate.
Reasons for Breast Implant Revisions
People pursue breast implant revisions for many different reasons, ranging from medical complications to personal desire. Often, the natural shifting of the breasts over time plays a role.
Some of the most common reasons for breast implant revisions include:
- Bottoming Out — Breast implants sometimes drop very low on the chest, causing the breasts to hang low while the nipples assume an unusually high position. We also refer to this as “implant malposition,” but many patients simply call it “the double bubble.”
- Ruptured Implants — Occasionally breast implants leak or even rupture over time. Patients are usually aware of this prior to the primary breast augmentation, so the need for reparative maintenance comes as no surprise.
- Capsular Contracture — The body naturally forms a thin scar tissue around your breast implants, but sometimes that tissue becomes too thick and tight. You may begin to experience discomfort in the breast as a result.
- Rippling — Breast implants often have a natural ripple, and sometimes that ripple may begin to show through the skin. We primarily see this in patients who are particularly thin.
- Implant Downsizing— Patients sometimes decide they would rather have smaller breast implants, either for comfort or for aesthetic purposes. Procedures are available to accommodate implant downsizing without leaving sagging or excessive skin. Alternatively, some may elect for a larger implant size.
- Symmastia — When two breast implants merge together in the middle of the chest, the condition is referred to as “synmastia.” Several treatment options are available.
- Implant Asymmetry — Breast implants occasionally assume asymmetric positions relative to one another, creating an awkward appearance.
- Tissue Changes — Breast tissue tends to change naturally over time, especially in women who become pregnant, or people who experience significant body changes or who have had their breast implants for a long time. These tissue changes can impact the comfort or appearance of the implants, and procedures are available to remedy that.
- Cosmetic Dissatisfaction — Finally, our patients sometimes come to us with general cosmetic dissatisfaction about the current appearance of their breasts. Our board-certified plastic surgeons will listen attentively to your concerns and work with you to design a detailed patient care plan that can meet your exact needs.
Talk with an Experienced South Bend Plastic Surgeon
Whether you are considering breast implant revisions in order to refine your appearance; improve your physical comfort; or address your body’s changes following cancer treatment, pregnancy, or adjustments in weight, we have a solution for you.
The Centre, P.C. serves men and women from all around the world. Learn more about our fly-in program for patients living outside of Indiana, or get in touch with our office to schedule a consultation today.
We believe you should have the body you want. We’ll help you get it. Call us right away.