What to Know about Rhinoplasty?
posted: Sep. 13, 2023.
Rhinoplasty, more commonly known as a nose job, is a surgical procedure to change the shape, size, and other characteristics of the nose. Drs. Ronald Downs, and Rachel Macias at The Centre, P.C., in Mishawaka, IN, provide comprehensive plastic surgery and aesthetic procedures including rhinoplasty.
What You Need To Know About Rhinoplasty
There are many reasons, both medical and cosmetic, for people choosing rhinoplasty. Medical reasons for rhinoplasty include:
- To correct structural issues in the nose
- To help with breathing through the nose
- To widen nasal passages or enlarge nostrils
- To correct a deviated septum
- To repair a broken nose
The cosmetic reasons people choose rhinoplasty include:
- Widening a nose that is too narrow
- Reducing the size of the nose
- Improving the proportions of the nose to the rest of the face
- Changing the angle of the nose
- Straightening the bridge of the nose
- Recontouring the tip of the nose
- Narrowing nostrils which are too wide
Rhinoplasty is performed under general anesthesia in our private, state licensed Ambulatory Surgery Center. The procedure typically takes around 1-3 hours. During the surgery, your board-certified plastic surgeon can reshape the cartilage and bone, or add cartilage and bone, depending on what is required to achieve your desired result.
After surgery, it’s normal to have some swelling and bruising around the eyes and over the nose. Post-operative discomfort can be managed with pain medication for the first few days after rhinoplasty.
Your surgeon may recommend using a saline nasal spray after surgery. This keeps the nasal passages moist to prevent irritation. Our surgeon may also advise wearing an internal or external splint to protect the surgical area and provide support.